A separatist group in the South-East, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has demanded an investigation into the killing of residents of Obigbo local government area of Rivers State.
The killings were said to have been done between 21st October and 4th November 2020.
The group alleged that Governor Nyesom Wike invited Nigerian security agents to massacre the people of the area at the time #EndSARS protests swept across the nation.
IPOB stated this while reacting to the report of a Lagos State panel of inquiry into police brutality and other abuses following last year’s #EndSARS protests and the killing of peaceful protesters at Lekki Toll Gate on October 20, 2020.
According to the statement by IPOB spokesperson, Emma Powerful, which was obtained by SaharaReporters on Sunday, “Innocent Igbo youths were killed in cold blood last year by Governor Nyesom Wike in Obigbo LGA of Rivers State.”
The media had reported that no fewer than 50 persons were killed and that more than 80 others were injured.
Scores of people in Obigbo were said to have disappeared and many women raped by members of the joint task force of the Nigerian military and the police in Rivers.
IPOB in a statement titled, “Lekki Massacre Report Incomplete Without Obigbo Genocide Report,” described the sad incident as ethnic cleansing targeted at Igbo and perpetrated by Governor Wike.
The statement read, “The global family of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) under the command and leadership of great leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is watching keenly the Lekki toll gate massacre report, and the reactions trailing it. But we are utterly shocked that nobody is mentioning the Obigbo massacre which happened about the same period and time last year.
“We wonder why there is no report on the Obigbo genocide and ethnic cleansing which was sponsored by Governor Nyesom Wike but executed by the Nigerian Army, police and other security agencies last year.
“Our people must remember Obigbo genocide/ethnic cleansing committed by Governor Nyesom Wike and his cronies, including the Nigerian Army, police, DSS, Navy and Air force against the hated tribe in Nigeria.
“Innocent Igbo youths were killed in cold blood last year by Governor Nyesom Wike in Obigbo LGA of Rivers State. Many dead bodies were thrown into the river by the masterminds of concealing evidence, yet there is no report about this genocide.
“The world must know about the floating of dead bodies of our people at the rivers in Obigbo and those still missing till date.
“Governor Wike must come out openly and tell the world why he massacred people living in Obigbo LGA Rivers State. Wike must know that IPOB will never relent in the demand for Justice for those he ordered their execution in Obigbo LGA last year.
“The world must know about the killings of Obigbo people and many illegally taken to the secret detentions in all parts of the Northern Nigerian states. IPOB has secured the release of about 600 innocent citizens taken to Nigerian army security detention facilities across the North and many are still missing till today.
“We must remind the world about testimonies of our Obigbo women raped by the Nigerian security agents in various secret detention centres across the Northern Nigerian states that resulted in their early deaths.
“The world must be aware of Obigbo women, men and children that died in the illegal and secret detention centres across Northern Nigeria states.