Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR
Federal Republic of Nigeria
APPEAL FOR INCLUSION OF POTISKUM ON THE PORTHARCOURT-MAIDUGRI RAIL LINE PROJECT.
May I respectfully commend you for the massive developmental projects being undertaken by the administration across the country among which are several network of roads, bridges, rail line, agricultural programmes and social investment projects. Closer home, I on behalf of the progressive minds of Potiskum town and the entire Yobe state, thank you for the recent approval of the Portharcourt-Maidugri rail line which links Gashua, Damaturu in Yobe state.
However, it has become important to call attention of your Excellency to the obvious neglect of the strategic town of Potiskum in the proposed rail line. As you are aware, Potiskum is the centre of commerce in the entire North East zone. In making this appeal His Excellency, should note the following:
1. Potiskum has one of the largest cattle market in West Africa
2. Potiskum has the largest grain market in Nigeria
3. Potiskum has the largest fleet of Transport, including heavy duty vehicles running into several thousands.
4. Potiskum town is a vital link to four states capitals including Bauchi, Damaturu, Gombe, Dutse.
5. Potiskum is home to Yobe state owned trailer park and mordern market to further boost commerce in the zone.
6. Potiskum is headquarters of one of the oldest emirate in Northern Nigeria.
7. The distance between Gashua and Damaturu (161 kilometers) and Gashua through Potiskum to Damaturu (225km) is a mere 64 kilometer difference that will not substantially alter the plan for the Eastern Corridor and would connect the commercial heartbeat of the Northeast in the present
His Excellency, It is for these reasons that we the progressive minds of the state and Potiskum town appeal to you to consider and direct the appropriate authority to include the town in the proposed Eastern Corridor rail line.
As always, we remain loyal and committed citizens of our country eager to contribute to the development and wellbeing of our nation. We pray that Allah will guide, protect and give you wisdom to patiently consider our appeal.
Long Live Nigeria.
Hon. Idriss Madu Bah (Yerman Gudi)
*His Excellency, President of the Senate
* His Excellency, Mai Mala Buni, Governor of Yobe
* Dist. Senator Ibrahim Bomai, Yobe South
*Hon. MOR for Potiskum/Nangere, Fika/Fune Federal Constituencies.
* Hon. Minister of State, Works. Engineer, Abubakar D. Aliyu.
* Director General, National Orientation Agency (NOA) Dr. Garba Abari.
* HRH Alhaji Mohammadu Abali ibn Muhammad Idrissa (CON) Emir of Fika
* Other highly placed sons and daughters of Yobe State.