President Donald Trump is said to be doing “well”, amid the confusion over his health after he was diagnosed with coronavirus.

In the early hours of this morning press secretary Kayleigh McEnany released an official update on Trump’s progress stating he was “off supplemental oxygen” but he “not yet of the woods”.

The President was flown by helicopter to Walter Reed National Military Medical Centre near Washington DC on Friday October, 2.

The statement said: “President Trump continues to do well, having made substantial progress since diagnosis. This evening he completed his second round of Remdesivir without complication.

“He remains fever free and off supplemental oxygen with a saturation level between 96 and 98% all day. He spent most of the afternoon conducting business, and has been up and moving about the medical suite without difficulty.


“While not yet out of the woods, the team remains cautiously optimistic. The plan for tomorrow is to continue observation in between doses of Remdesivir, closely monitoring his clinical status while fully supporting his conduct of Presidential duties.”

This comes after a briefing from White House chief of staff Mark Meadows on Saturday, October, 4 who told reporters that Trump had been through a “very concerning” period on Friday and that the next 48 hours would be critical.

The president himself then posted a video on Twitter from his hospital suite, saying he was feeling “much better now” and hoped to “be back soon”.


In a press conference outside the hospital, Dr Sean Conley had said the president was fever-free, was not on oxygen and was not having difficulty breathing.

Dr Conley refused to say whether Mr Trump had ever been on oxygen despite repeated questioning, but said the president’s symptoms, including a cough and nasal congestion, “are now resolving and improving”.

Dr Conley’s optimistic appraisal contrasted the subsequent assessment delivered by Mr Meadows, although Mr Trump himself said in his video message he was feeling better, although the “next few days” would be telling in his battle against the disease.


“I came here, wasn’t feeling so well, I feel much better now,” Mr Trump said.

“You don’t know over the next period of a few days, I guess that’s the real test. So we’ll be seeing what happens over those next couple of days.”

There was also confusion over when the president tested positive, as Dr Conley initially suggested Mr Trump was 72 hours into the diagnosis.


Dr Conley later clarified he meant to say “day three” instead of 72 hours, and said the president had been first diagnosed with Covid-19 on Thursday evening.

The White House said the 74-year-old would work from the hospital’s presidential suite, which is equipped to allow him to continue his official duties.

Soon after Dr Conley’s update on Saturday, Mr Trump tweeted: “Doctors, Nurses and ALL at the GREAT Walter Reed Medical Center, and others from likewise incredible institutions who have joined them, are AMAZING!!!

“Tremendous progress has been made over the last 6 months in fighting this PLAGUE. With their help, I am feeling well!”.

Mr Trump’s Covid-19 diagnosis is the latest among world leaders, with Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro and the EU’s chief Brexit.