It was all tears as an early morning fire outbreak on Wednesday gutted the popular Owode market in Offa, Offa local government area of Kwara state.
The fire, which was said to have been caused by power surge from one of the shops in the market, destroyed no fewer than 20 shops.
Spokesperson of the state’s Fire Service Hassan Adekunle, confirmed the incident, adding that quick intervention of the fire brigade officers in Offa saved the market from being raised down completely.
“I want to tell you that the intelligence unit of the state fire services is working round the clock to know the immediate and remote causes of the inferno but one cannot rule out the issue of electric
spark”, he said.
A trader, Alhaja Halima Saka, lamented the incident and called on the government to come to the aid of the
affected traders in the market.
Reacting to the unfortunate incident Offa Descendants’ Union, (ODU) expressed deep shock over the inferno that gutted Owode market in the town.
Spokesperson of ODU, Alhaji Maruf Ajenifuja, said: “The extent of the inferno, which allegedly occured at a location close to Alhaji Sanni Abba House, is yet to be ascertained but the union has deployed relevant officials to the scene of the fire outbreak for more details.
“ODU has made emissaries to the state government in the past for new fire service truck and the upgrade of the Fire Service Station in Offa for efficient fire service delivery in order to safeguard lives and property of our people but we are still awaiting the positive response of the state government.
“We sincerely hope that our amiable governor will accede to our humble request soonest in order to ameliorate this type of unfortunate fire incident in the future.
“Our fervent prayer is that Almighty God will give all the market men and women that lost valuable goods in this unfortunate fire incident the fortitude to bear the loss.”