The Kogi State governorship candidate of the Grassroots Development Party of Nigeria (GDPN), Dele Bello-Williams has alleged threat to his life and those of his family members.
Bello-Williams is one of the 23 governorship candidates cleared to contest in the November 16 governorship election in Kogi.
He appealed to the president, the SSS, the police and security agents to forestall efforts of contestants to cause havoc.
Steve Nwafor, his campaign manager, in a release issued, yesterday in Lokoja, said that information at their disposal revealed that there was a plot to violently thwart the GDPN’s governorship candidate’s campaign.
“Information reaching the Dele Bello-Williams Campaign Team reveals that there is a plot by a major opposing party to thwart the campaign of the Dele Bello-Williams with the use of violence.
“As a matter of fact, during a phone conversation with our party chairman in the state this morning, he confirmed that he had been receiving calls from people threatening his life and that of his family. This has caused the party chairman to relocate his family away from Lokoja to an undisclosed location for safety.
“We therefore call on the police, SSS, IGP to beef up security in Kogi State, because some of the contenders in the forthcoming polls would go to any length to cause mayhem as we approach the November 16 Kogi State governorship elections.
“As a Nigerian who is constitutionally allowed to contest elective positions, Dele Bello-Williams also calls upon President Muhammadu Buhari to please use his prestigious office to ensure that there is peaceful coexistence in Kogi State and protect him and his supporters from the murderous thugs being sponsored by some contestants for the Kogi election,” he said.